Making a school yearbook...

PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Making a school yearbook...

Posted:09 Jul 2010 (15:11 UTC)
Dean,

Wow!! Thanks so much for the positive feedback!! We're so glad you are happy with your books and we look forward to working with you again!!

PrestoPhoto support
Dean Reece
Profile Picture

Posted:08 Jul 2010 (20:08 UTC)
I just wanted to followup now that the yearbooks have been distributed. The whole process was fantastic! We will never go back to working with a "traditional" yearbook company again. The primary advantages to us were:

1. We could order proof copies as we developed the yearbook to see exactly how things would look. We wound up ordering 2 proofs before the final order was placed. With the traditional yearbook company, we just got what we got - no proof and no reprints possible.
  2. Order quantity was flexible. With the traditional yearbook company, we had to commit to a specific order size fairly early in the year. Parents that got their forms in late were out of luck. With PrestoPhoto, we didn't really have to worry about pre-orders at all, and parents that missed the bulk buy could still order one online (without the bulk discount of course).
  3. No deadlines. The traditional yearbook company required us to present a set of pages (about half the book) to them by mid-year. This means those pages had to be complete, and couldn't reflect any events or student transfers that happened after the winter break. With PrestoPhoto, we could make changes to every page right up till the last minute.
  4. Custom cover. With PrestoPhoto, this was trivial. For the traditional yearbook company, it was an expensive option (and their non-custom covers were awful).

The only downside to using PrestoPhoto that we encountered is that the end-papers are black. Yearbooks typically have white end-papers so students can sign their names. We worked around this by adding some autograph pages, and by using gold and silver pens for signing the black end-papers. It would be nice if PrestoPhoto could offer other options for the endpapers.

In the end, we had a better and cheaper yearbook available. There was much more flexibility for the folks creating it, as well as for folks ordering it. It was a win all the way around.

Thanks,
- Dean
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:26 Oct 2009 (16:54 UTC)
Dean,

If you upload a PDF it won't count against your storage space :) If you send a note to support @ support@prestophoto.com, we can send you some information that should help you with your yearbook!

Have a great day,

PrestoPhoto support
Dean Reece
Profile Picture

Making a school yearbook...

Posted:23 Oct 2009 (20:26 UTC)
I plan to make the yearbook for my son's school and print it using PrestoPhoto. I've got a few questions before I embark on this, though:

What is the longevity of the prints that PrestoPhoto produces (compared to a traditionally printed yearbook)?

This will be a fairly large book and I am concerned about storage space. I know I can purchase more storage from PrestoPhoto, but can I upload my pictures to a server that I own and reference them in my PrestoPhoto project?

Assuming that I can't use my own private server for storage: Once I have submitted the book design, PrestoPhoto internally generates a .pdf that I assume is used for the actual printing. At that point can I remove the individual pictures to make space for other projects, or will that make the book project unable to be printed? Does the press-ready .pdf count against my 300MB (or 1GB, or 2.5GB, or 8GB) storage space?

Any other tips or suggestions that might make my yearbook project go smoother?

Thanks in advance,
- Dean
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page