Bleed -- again

PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Bleed -- again

Posted:12 Jul 2010 (17:17 UTC)
Just make your pages 1/4" larger than the book you plan to create and keep all important items (heads & text) away from the outer 1/4" on all sides and nothing will get wacked.

Here is a link to our page on cropping and bleed http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/index.php?structure_id=303

PrestoPhoto support
Ellen Feldman

Posted:12 Jul 2010 (17:12 UTC)
Thanks. That does make sense. I'm uploading jpg's — not pdf. Just to confirm, and another question:

I'll create 8.75 x 8.75 pages for my 8.5 x 8.5 book. Each page will have a single photo, with empty space around.

I know I can have a single 6 x 4" photo on each page, and that would give me PLENTY of safety. I assume when you say: Keep all important items (people, heads, text,borders) away from the outer 1/2" on all sides-- that you mean it should be within the inner 8 x 8 (I shouldn't count the page size for this calculation as 8.75 but as 8.5, if that makes sense).

I wouldn't mind having my photo a little larger. What if I made it 6.75" W. I would give 1.25" blank area on the gutter side, and .75 blank area on the "outside." 6.75 + 1.25 + .75 = of page: 8.75". Would I risk having any part of my photo cut off?

Thanks.
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:12 Jul 2010 (15:58 UTC)
Ellen,

greetings from PrestoPhoto and thank you for your interest.

We prefer one complete PDF or separate .jpg files. We recommend your images be at 300 dpi.

For all our trim sizes we recommend you make the cover images as well as the interior page images 1/4" larger than your book size. For example if you plan to create an 8.5x11 book the cover image as well as interior pages would be 8.75x11.25 (at 300 dpi).

Most importantly, keep all important items (people, heads, text,borders) away from the outer 1/2" on all sides.

Here is a page that may help
http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/index.php?structure_id=303

We trim 1/8" on all sides and just keep in mind an 1/8" is a greater percentage of the book for our mini books than it is for say an 8.5x11 book. In other words 1/8" is a greater percentage of 5" than it is of 8.5". Does that make sense?

PrestoPhoto support
Ellen Feldman

Bleed -- again

Posted:10 Jul 2010 (22:14 UTC)
I'm making an 8.5" x 8.5" book. I'm doing layout for each page in photoshop: one photo per page (6.5"w x 4.33"H), with significant white space on all sides--so there's no issue of important content being near the edge. I've read some posts, and I'm still not totally clear on the size of the image I should create in photoshop.

Should I create the images as 8.75" x 8.75"? I read that in one post.

Should I create as 8.5 x 8.5, knowing the PrestoPhoto book maker will scale up 1/8" on all sides? I read that in another post.

Finally, about the gutter. Would it be a good idea, in Photoshop, for me to place my photo farther from the gutter, thus not totally centered horizontally? If so, should I make the width of my photo 6.0, not 6.5, and have 1.5" of white on the side near the gutter, and 1.0" on the other side.

Clear? Thanks for your help!
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page