Help with Indesign Bleed Settings and 2 Page Spread Exporting!

Comment on 8x8 Photo Book
Serena Gardiner

Help with Indesign Bleed Settings and 2 Page Spread Exporting!

Posted:05 Apr 2011 (18:54 UTC)
I am making an 80 page 8.5x8.5 Hardcover book in Indesign CS3, with a few full bleed images and 2 page spreads. I have my document set to 8.5x8.5 with an 1/8 inch bleed on all edges and I export the PDF with the document bleed settings. I am also using a .25” inside gutter for the spreads with images crossing over and the overlap seems to work the way its supposed to.

The problem I am running into is with full bleed images on single pages. Because of the bleed setting on the inside edge, the image is bleeding over where I don’t want it to (for example, when it exports to pdf, a single full bleed page will have 1/8 run onto the opposite page, and have on 1/8th strip of white along the inside edge of the image where the white overlaps). With 2 page spreads in Indesign and an inside edge bleed setting, is that okay since it will get trimmed there anyways? Or, if I change the inside edge bleed setting to 0”, it no longer overlaps where unwanted, but doesn’t that make the exported document size smaller than 8.75 wide and may cut off too much of my pages on all edges? I even have my margins slightly pushed from the center to account for the binding but don’t want any more accidently trimmed off than needs to be.

Any advice on these settings is welcome! I have consulted all of the topics on the site, and when I email vio vio support, they have repeatedly not answered my question at all and just send me links to those topic pages without even responding to my specific issue. I know it’s probably a simple fix but its very frustrating. Please help!
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page