InDesign Cropping

Comment on Cropping And Bleed
Adrian Ho

Re: InDesign Cropping

Posted:13 Oct 2011 (19:16 UTC)
Great thank you, so I have take into account for the gutter in the middle of the page. That's what I was looking to confirm. Thank you.
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:13 Oct 2011 (16:56 UTC)
Adrian!

Here is a great screencast that explains how to create a 2-page spread: http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomephotobooks?feature=mhee#p/u/3/OFfOzq1_OeE

I hope this answers your question but if it doesn't let us know and we will do our best to help!

Regards,
PrestoPhoto support
support@prestophoto.com
Adrian Ho

Posted:13 Oct 2011 (16:30 UTC)
Hi again, I have found and used the full image wrap. What I meant was for inside a book. The internal pages.
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:13 Oct 2011 (15:33 UTC)
Adrian,

You can easily accomplish a complete Imagewrap cover by simply selecting the option for "Full wrap cover" - you can do so by checking the box titled "Full wrap cover" in the area where you select to upload your cover, it's to the right. The system will then give you the option to upload a single image that will wrap from back cover to front!

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know and we will do our best to help.

Regards,
PrestoPhoto support
support@prestophoto.com
Adrian Ho

Posted:12 Oct 2011 (22:30 UTC)
Thank you for your answer. But I don't think I phrased my question properly.

Where the spine happes in the middle of the page, does that get cut off in the crop as well? Like if I want a continuous image across two pages, how does one do that? And if the crop line does happen in the middle of the book, where should I adjust for a continuous image across two pages?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2yuww9d.png
http://i54.tinypic.com/2hge59u.png

The images are of an example of what I'm looking at.

Thanks,
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:11 Oct 2011 (14:47 UTC)
Adrian,

Greetings from PrestoPhoto, thank you for your question!

When thinking about crops and crop guides there is no way to determine exactly where the trim or fold will take place, therefore we do not recommend that you place a white border around your image. Unless you will be ok with a portion of that white border remaining, and prefer the possibility of that rather than the possibility of loosing a bit of your image.

The best way to describe crops and bleed-lines is thinking of them like foreground and background. The background should stretch to the very edge of your page.

This "background" should consist of picture with irrelevant content like sky, or water, or the solid color that you're using, or a portion of a building that's not important.

The foreground should all be placed safely within the suggested Crop-guides. This "foreground" will consist of your vital content such as text, faces of people, pictures that are cropped at 100%, etc that you do not want any possibility of trim or fold to affect.

When accounting for the width of the spine of the book, our system automatically calculates the width of the spine for each book that is ordered due to the paper type and amount of pages. We do not suggest that you try to calculate the spine due to the precision required. If you wish to lay spine text you can do so using our system at the cover step. You can lay the text on top of your uploaded cover.

If you have any further questions please let us know and we will do our best to assist.

Thank you again for choosing PrestoPhoto!

Regards,
PrestoPhoto support
support@prestophoto.com
Adrian Ho

InDesign Cropping

Posted:11 Oct 2011 (03:12 UTC)
So I've been laying out my portfolio for a 8.5x11 landscape hardcover. But I was doing that before I read the crop / bleed rules. Which, I'm really happy I read here before ordering.

My question is, do the crop rules apply as well to the images in the spine? So for a 8.5x11, do I need to format it to become 8.75x11.25? or 8.75x11.125?

The image below shows the white space around 2 pages of 8.5x11 where the black line is the spine and the white space is what I believe is the crop space. As you can see the left and right spaces are a little bigger, so my question is 11.25 (extra .25) or 11.125 (extra .125).

Thank you,

Page 1 of 1  
Go to page