color space when preparing images for making photobook

ann

Re: color space when preparing images for making photobook

Posted:04 Apr 2007 (00:51 UTC)
Further question for Q3 above:
Just want to make sure I get this right. If I am making an 8.5x11 photobook, and if this page has both photo and text (where the text is NOT on top of the photo. i.e. photo is on the top half page, and text is on the bottom page), I should make them all into one big JPG which is 9x11.5 (for bleeding) at 300dpi? But the file is going to be pretty large... Isn't PDF has smaller file size? Please advise. Thanks!
Christian
Profile Picture

Posted:28 Mar 2007 (14:27 UTC)
> Q1: for COVER — for the book cover, is the RGB profile should be sRGB as well?

Yes. Due to the nature of the wrap-around cover, everything is rasterized into high quality RGB jpeg.

> Q2: for ONE COMPLETE PDF — (according to Question 6 above - one big PDF file), should I use xGen3 CMYK profile or other CMYK profile is prefered?

It really won't make that much difference. Due to the nature of the iGen, it can have stronger magentas and weaker yellows. You can use our profile, or the standard Japanese CMYK profile included in most applications.

> Q3: for INDIVIDUAL PDF PAGE — If i have text on the page, which way will be better:
> a) rasterize it? (if this is the answer, do you prefer JPG or PDF?)

This is best, because we will rasterize the image for you if you upload the PDF. Uploading a rasterized JPG is best because there are less likely to be rasterization issues (fonts and/or colors)
ann

Posted:27 Mar 2007 (18:45 UTC)
Thank you for the reply. Very helpful!

Few more questions:

Q1: for COVER — for the book cover, is the RGB profile should be sRGB as well?
Q2: for ONE COMPLETE PDF — (according to Question 6 above - one big PDF file), should I use xGen3 CMYK profile or other CMYK profile is prefered?
Q3: for INDIVIDUAL PDF PAGE — If i have text on the page, which way will be better:
a) rasterize it? (if this is the answer, do you prefer JPG or PDF?)
b) outline the font?
c) embed the font in PDF
Christian
Profile Picture

Posted:27 Mar 2007 (03:33 UTC)
Hi Ann,

Thanks for posting!

> Question 1: all the photos should be convert from Camera color profile to sRGB profile?

Yes, sRGB is best if you are planning to assemble photos using our PrestoPhoto BookMaker.

> Question 2: If I start an illustartion artwork (or text) made from Adobe Illustrator, should I work on CMYK or RGB? Should I upload as PDF or JPG? Does EPS works?

You can design in CMYK to stay in gamut, however, I would upload stay in sRGB if you are working with individual images, regardless of application.

> Question 4: Do I need to remove the ICC profile when saving the final works?

It will be removed, but it is not necessary to remove it.

> Question 5: If the photobook that I'm going to make will have both photos and illustration, do they have to be in the same color space (CMYK or RGB)?

If using the BookMaker, no. We actually convert everything to RGB in the BookMaker for you. You colorspace conversion may vary, so we recommend you upload sRGB from the get go.

> Question 6: If I'm using InDesign, and save as PDF, which color space do I use?

If you upload a complete PDF, ready to print, this is the only time I would recommend CMYK end to end.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions!
ann

color space when preparing images for making photobook

Posted:22 Mar 2007 (19:57 UTC)
These are the questions regarding color space when preparing images for making photobook.

Question 1: all the photos should be convert from Camera color profile to sRGB profile?

Question 2: If I start an illustartion artwork (or text) made from Adobe Illustrator, should I work on CMYK or RGB? Should I upload as PDF or JPG? Does EPS works?

Question 3: If CMYK is using for illustrations, should I use iGen3 profile to start with?

Question 4: Do I need to remove the ICC profile when saving the final works?

Question 5: If the photobook that I'm going to make will have both photos and illustration, do they have to be in the same color space (CMYK or RGB)?

Question 6: If I'm using InDesign, and save as PDF, which color space do I use?
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page