Using Scribus for Viovio

Comment on Scribus
Russell Keanalley

Using Scribus for Viovio

Posted:26 Mar 2009 (07:58 UTC)
Hi, I'm a new user of PrestoPhoto. Having been disappointed with other photo book companies, I'm hoping that PrestoPhoto has the image quality I've been looking for.

I decided to try Scribus and in spite of the learning curve, I have found it to be excellent publishing software!! But with the warnings posted here, I have been experimenting with the PDF creation and sure enough, with the default settings, it created PDF files 3 times the recommended maximum 5 megabytes per page.

Eventually I have found that by choosing "Lossy - JPEG" for compression method, and compression quality of "High" instead of "Maximum" with high resolution JPEG images, the resulting PDF file meets the recommended 5 megs per page.

Should I upload a few pages to check that these files will produce high quality printed images without any of these re-rasterizing problems?

Also, I have set the page sizes to 290 mm wide and 225 mm high with 17.5 mm margins all round for text, and placing images up to 5 mm from the outside, top and bottom edges for edge-to-edge printing, and 7.5 mm from the gutter edge to allow for both trimming and centre-fold bookbinding. Would these dimensions be OK?
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page