help with my first iphoto book

Kettie Mooney

Re: help with my first iphoto book

Posted:21 Sep 2009 (17:37 UTC)
greetings from PrestoPhoto and thank you for your interest.

We prefer one complete PDF or separate .jpg files. We recommend your images be at 300 dpi.

For all our trim sizes we recommend you make the cover images as well as the interior page images 1/4" larger than your book size. For example if you plan to create an 8.5x11 book the cover image as well as interior pages would be 8.75x11.25 (at 300 dpi).

Most importantly, keep all important items (people, heads, text,borders) away from the outer 1/2" on all sides.

We trim 1/8" on all sides and just keep in mind an 1/8" is a greater percentage of the book for our mini books than it is for say an 8.5x11 book. In other words 1/8" is a greater percentage of 5" than it is of 8.5". Does that make sense?

When you upload a PDF our system will automatically select the book trim size that most closely matches your PDF size. For example, if you plan to create our 11x8.5 die-cut hardcover book you will want to create your PDF as an 11x8.5 file instead of 8.5x11 landscape.

Also, You can design the cover and make it the first page of your PDF. When uploading your PDF you will tell the system that the first page is the cover. We will pull that page out of your PDF to make it the front cover. You can do the same for a back cover if you choose. Keep in mind if your 2-page spreads line up with that cover page in the file they will be off by one when the page is removed.

Don't include a page for the inside cover. We don't print on the inside of the cover so if you include a page it will print on the right as the first interior page.

If you would like to upload a new PDF all you need to do is go to your myproducts page, select the title of the project you want to modify. Select the add files link toward the top of the page, scroll down to the Interior PDF File field and select the browse button to select the new file from your pc. Select the upload PDF button at the bottom of the screen

As a caution, when uploading PDF's with the cover included with the file. Covers and interiors are printed separately. When the front cover is removed from your uploaded file, the pages will be offset. So if you have 2-page spreads make sure they will layout the way you plan after a page has been removed.

NOTE: The best way to Upload a PDF
login,
select "dashboard" (link to that page is in the upper right of the screen)
select upload PDF (under the products column)
give your product a title
For the Interior PDF File browse to get the PDF from your PC or FTP upload if you have that option
You must specify the front cover for your book.
So pick the correct action for Front Cover and Back Cover fields
Select the upload PDF button

Here are a few links to some of our pages on PDFs
http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/PDF+Upload+Wizard
http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/PDF+Creation+FAQ Note the questions on this page — What are the requirements of PDFs? and How can you prevent multiple subset embedding? and Is there a way I can ensure that my PDF file will print correctly?

http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/PDF+Creation+Specifications

I would read each carefully some of the information may apply to you and some may not.

If you included transparencies in your PDF — Our printer doesn't handle transparencies at all. The text boxes appear as semi-transparent, instead of transparent. The pages with transparencies need to be flattened prior to uploading to PrestoPhoto.

Actually, you can upload one complete PDF or separate .jpg files. No difference in resolution if they are at 300 dpi. If you upload separate PDF files we will convert them to .jpgs and then compile one complete PDF, so again I would upload either one complete PDF or separate .jpg files :)

When you upload one complete PDF it doesn't count against your storage space.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions!

If you have other questions or if I missed something let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Kettie
PrestoPhoto Support
Darja Fiser

help with my first iphoto book

Posted:20 Sep 2009 (13:42 UTC)
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to order a book made in iPhoto 8. I chose the 11" x 8.5" wire-bound softcover because it is the only one that keeps the cover page and the back page separate when saved as pdf. I used the layouts provided by iPhoto and when I uploaded the book to PrestoPhoto (the upload took forever), the preview of the cover page showed that important parts of the photos will be cut off around the edges. I can't see if this is true for the rest of the book because there is no preview option for that. How do I do this right? Thanks,
Darja
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page