Binding choice affects printing quality ???

Comment on Book Binding and Covers
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Binding choice & print quality options...

Posted:17 Mar 2010 (17:27 UTC)
We print our products on different printers and they can accommodating different size paper going through the printer. For the 11x8.5 softcover you need a printer that can accept paper that is about 25" wide for the cover. Our premium printer can accommodate that size.
David Fisher

Binding choice & print quality options...

Posted:17 Mar 2010 (04:01 UTC)
Oh, okay- I thought there was another page that gave a choice... you're talking about the first page in the process where one has to pick from the list.

All of the softcover books I've had done had the satin paper option and had good color. That last softcover was landscape format, and I could ONLY buy it with premium printing, and it came out with good color also.

So that hardcover I'm sending back was actually printed too light- it wasn't just a "preference" of one kind of printing over another, because I'm holding in my hands my earlier books with both options, and they look great. That book was really washed out... the reds were orange and the blacks were gray.

Whew, I'm relieved!

So why is the 11x8.5 landscape softcover ONLY offered with the premium printing?
The portrait format in the same size is offered with satin paper.

I don't get it.
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Don't see the binding choice at checkout

Posted:16 Mar 2010 (20:59 UTC)
Click the "books & products" link to the left of the screen, then click the product title of the project you plan to purchase. All available products will list on that page. Anything that says Premium in the description is a premium product. The quick bound products list the paper as either satin or photo silk
David Fisher

Don't see the binding choice at checkout

Posted:16 Mar 2010 (20:31 UTC)
I don't remember seeing any, or choosing any binding choices at checkout for the group of books I ordered.

I just now went back and pretended to buy one of my books, so I could see where this binding choice was offered, and I got all the way to the page where you pay, and hadn't seen the option yet.

I didn't want to go any further, because I was only looking for that binding option.

Where exactly, and on what page of the process is that option shown?
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Binding choice affects printing quality ???

Posted:16 Mar 2010 (17:06 UTC)
Actually, yes, the quick bound process is a toner based print process (hard or soft cover) and the premium bound process is an ink based print process (hard or soft cover). The book in question was ordered January 11th using the premium process (softcover book). It was ordered again January 15 using the quick binding process (hardcover book). Both processes are fabulous. It is just personal preference as to whether a creator prefers the quick bound process or the premium bound process.

Hope that helps.
David Fisher

Binding choice affects printing quality ???

Posted:16 Mar 2010 (06:06 UTC)
All of the books I've had done have had excellent color quality.
But the last book's inside pages were all washed out.

Here's what the support rep told me:

"The 2nd book you ordered was printed using our quick bound process. If you are not happy with the color I would make sure you don't order the quick bound books. The hardcover book you ordered was printed using the premium process."

Now, for one thing, it was the HARDCOVER that had the washed out pages.
All my softcover books, which I guess are "quickbound" are perfect.

So is the rep just kinda confused about the process, or what?
The binding choice can't affect the print quality, can it?
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page