Die-cut cover image questions

Comment on Book Binding and Covers
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Die-cut cover image questions

Posted:12 Nov 2010 (15:44 UTC)
Lisa,

Greetings from PrestoPhoto and thanks for your interest.

Our 11x8.5 & 12x12 die-cut hardbacks don't have an image on the cover. The image you designate as your cover image peeks through the die-cut window on the front cover. There is no text on the spine.

We will scale the cover image so you don't need to do that. Make the front cover image the same size as your book just like the interior pages. Actually, we give you the option to keep the image at its full scale, scale it to fit inside the die-cut window in the cover, or scale it to a certain percentage of the original size. The options are available on the die-cut cover tab during the cover creation stage of the bookmaker process. It is impossible to give an exact measurements for the window because the covers are pre-made and they are not exact.

The easiest way to set up the die-cut interior so you know exactly how the pages will layout is to create your interior book file as a single multi-page PDF then create your cover image as a separate .jpg file. Upload your interior PDF file and tell the system that your cover image will be a separate image. Then upload the cover image. We will make the back of the cover image blank. Therefore the first page of your interior file will fall on the right.

Here is a link to a page that shows how it will layout.
http://www.prestophoto.com/index.php?structure_id=470

Just scroll down to the picture with the person's hand so you can see how it looks.

There is no text on the spine. The minimum page count is 24 and the maximum page count is 120. The production time on this book is 7 business days.

Here is a link to a page that shows our die-cut product http://www.prestophoto.com/index.php?structure_id=469 .

You can see the leaf peeks through the die-cut window .

As a note, the 11x8.5 is a landscape book --- with books the dimensions are listed horizontal by vertical so 11" is the long side and 8.5 is the tall side meaning the book is longer than it is tall.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

PrestoPhoto Support
Lisa Aszklar

Die-cut cover image questions

Posted:11 Nov 2010 (22:04 UTC)
I'm trying to construct the cover page for the 12x12 die-cut book.

If I give PrestoPhoto a 12.25" square page with my cover image (which is just text), here are my questions:
1. According to your illustration, the dimensions of the 'hole' I'm trying to fill are 4.5"wide by 3.5"high. This shape (space available for the image to peek through) appears to be the maximum available space. So what is my safe area? 1/4"off all sides ... which would bring my available image area down to 4x3? Does using a 4x3 image area guarantee that my image will not spill over the hole?

2. Binding, binding! Does the 12.25" page width allow for binding? Am I certain beyond a doubt that a template (I'm using my own) set up as 12.25"square will center my image in the peek-thru hole? If the extra .25" is to allow for trim of 1/8"off left and right, then will the image still be centered, if I place it within a 4x3 area (or, 4-1/8"from L and from R of page, and 3-1/4" from top and 6"from bottom of page (your measurements + the extra 1/4"for image safe area)?

3. I want to put a line or two of text toward the bottom right of the cover page. This text would NOT be intended to peek thru the cover. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? (This text is a personalization for the individual receiving the book.)

4. Finally, you want a PDF of this die-cut cover page — not a JPG? I thought I saw elsewhere on your site that a JPG was preferred.

You guys have been terrific so far, and I appreciate your help. This is my first book project.
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page