Margins for MiniBooks

Comment on Cropping And Bleed
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Re: Margins for MiniBooks

Posted:19 Apr 2011 (20:19 UTC)
Hi, Liz!

I talked with one of our engineers about your project and it is the correct size and it appears that all important elements should print fine - we have a very aggressive crop guide because the trim line is large in comparison to its size (.25 inches is a lot more on a 3.5 x 3.5 book than say a 12 x 12, if that makes sense). The only page we were both a bit concerned about was page 6 - you might wat to bring the head in just a tad before ordering.

PrestoPhoto Support
Liz

Posted:19 Apr 2011 (18:11 UTC)
Ok. So then is the 1/8" in bleed gutter and 1/4" in safety margin not enough for minibooks? Is the crop guide treating the image as if it were a larger one, being scaled down? Because I made my actual page size 3.75" x 3.75".

What WOULD the measurements for safety margin be? Unless you can get your pink cropping guide to show up in my 3rd party software, I need some kind of a measurement guideline to accomplish this (:wink:). And if the measurements really should be different for minibooks than the larger sizes, it would be most helpful to post this info on the "crop and bleed" page so that we can set up our document properly in the first place, rather than having to make a lot of changes after uploading.

Maybe you need to alter your crop guides (and preview pages) to reflect the actual size of the page uploaded and the book size to be ordered? Seems like it's a bit one-size-fits all the way it is right now which leads to some unintended consequences...
PrestoPhoto Support
Profile Picture

Posted:19 Apr 2011 (17:53 UTC)
Hi, Liz!

The crop guides are a little aggressive, which is why we tell you not to use them for positioning. A good guideline to use for mini books is to assume about half of the pink crop guide is going to get cut. I looked at your project and there are a few pages that you may want to re-work. The mini books do have a greater crop margin in relation to their size.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

PrestoPhoto Support
Liz

Margins for MiniBooks

Posted:19 Apr 2011 (16:49 UTC)
I'm making a 3.5" x 3.5" mini book with 3rd party software and uploading as .pdf. According to the guidelines on this "cropping and bleed" page, I made my page size 3.75 x 3.75, then set my margins for 3/8" (1/8" + 1/4") all around on all pages to ensure that all important things were kept inside the "safety area."

I've just uploaded my photo book and when I view it in "layout preview" with the cropping guides on, the pink area (which is indicated as the possible crop area for mini books) extends much farther into the book than my 3/8" margins did. I would NOT be happy if that much of the picture was cut off.

SO, are the guidelines on this "cropping and bleed" page not correct for minibooks, or are the pink guides on the "layout preview" incorrect/overly generous? Which one should I be going by? Because if I go by the pink guides on the "layout preview," I need to seriously rearrange my pages. And if that's what I need to do, then what ARE the measurements for that?
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page