largish print run

connie
Profile Picture

Re: largish print run

Posted:24 Oct 2007 (14:15 UTC)
Bart, you are correct, the upper page limit is 80 for the 11.8.5 die-cut. Yes, there is a fee to scale the PDF from 11x8.5 to 9x7 but it shouldn't be $15. I'll ask an engineer about that. In the meantime you could go to http://createpdf.adobe.com/ to convert to the 9x7 if you would like. They give you 5 free conversions.
Bart Reardon

Posted:12 Oct 2007 (01:15 UTC)
ok...just made some discoveries.

The book will be around 160 pages and I've discovered you don't have capability to print 11x8.5 in anything greater than 80 pages...might be a problem.

Also, by my calculations a 150 page 9x7 should cost $42.45 (150 x 0.25 + 4.95) however I uploaded a test PDF and it says the price is $57.49 and that's before adding photo silk paper into the mix. I'm using aperture and can't generate a PDF in anything other than 11x8.5...am I being charged for scaling to 9x7? I only have the option to print 9x7 photo silk or wire-o gloss (at 11x8.5 I assume).

The book is already laid out so I'm not re-doing the layout using the bookmaker. Is there a tool I can use to re-size my PDF? The first book I printed (also made using aperture) didn't seem to have any of these problems.
Bart Reardon

Posted:11 Oct 2007 (22:18 UTC)
hey, thanks for the reply :)

I'm hoping to order a 'proof' book early next week and if everything is OK, do the bulk order, so that's already part of the plan.

I'm trying to keep the 9x7 cost to around $40 - $45 per book if I can. I was thinking I could use the bulk discount to offset the cost of printing on photo silk and things like that. I guess I won't know exactly how much it's going to cost until I upload the PDF (which is floating around the 200mb mark at the moment).
Nomy

Posted:11 Oct 2007 (19:31 UTC)
Hi Bart,

This is exciting. We do suggest you order 1 book and check out the print and binding quality before placing bulk order.

To answer you questions:
1. Yes, you can just send us the 11x8.5 file and we'll scale it down for the 9x7 for you.
2. We do offer bulk discount. Check out link below to see how much you can save by ordering bulk.
http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/index.php?structure_id=316
3. We may ship it in multiple boxes so that each boxes weigh no more than 50 lbs, but our shipping fee is based on total weight.
Ship time and cost depend on ship to address, weight of package and ship method selected. Thus, it is not possible to provide an accurate ship cost. Typically, you could expect to pay approximately $10.00 for shipping for one book. However, that is a rough estimate.

We do offer a ship cost estimator on this page http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/Photo+Books
You would need to select the "Get a shipping quote right now" link. This quote is based on 1 40-page book so it is not accurate for say 500 books but it will give you a sense of the cost.

If your order total is over $30.00 we offer a flat rate ship cost of $4.99 for international shipping and $1.99 for domestic. This is a very slow ship method so don't use it if you are on a deadline. If time is not an issue then you may consider that option.

Hope this helps and feel free to e-mail support@prestophoto.com if you have any questions.
Bart Reardon

largish print run

Posted:11 Oct 2007 (13:53 UTC)
I'm about to do a print run of a book that is currently 160 odd pages. I want to offer it in two sizes, 9x7 and 11x8.5. For the 9x7 there will probably be an initial run of about 30 books.

1) can I use the same PDF for both and just have you guys scale it?
2) is 30 book a big run or chicken feed?
3) 30, 160 page books would be heavy...would you post them (internationally) in seperate bundles hence requiring seperate post change for each bundle?

That's about it for now... cheers :)
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page