Photos show white grids

Judith

Re: Photos show white grids

Posted:14 Nov 2007 (04:28 UTC)
Christian, thank you for your response. I have been poking around and turned off most export settings in InDesign CS. After researching and experimenting a lot, it appears the problem is related to transparent elements and Acrobat 4 (1.3) compatibility. Removing the drop shadow, feathered edge, and light-colored transparent areas eliminates the grids in Acrobat 4. Leaving all intact and exporting for Acrobat 5 (1.4) also eliminates the grids. I was exporting to 4 because I read somewhere on the site that this was the better way to deal with transparency and layers.

I would really like to keep the border shadow and feathering, because it adds to the overall appearance of the page. The light-colored areas are for adding hand-written notes. An option is to export to Acrobat 5, but it looks like the light colored areas become quite opaque and visible instead of subtle.

My last option is to produce 300 dpi jpgs of each page at high quality. This seems to produce the best quality and color in the different image areas compared to Acrobat 5 and without the grids of Acrobat 4. After looking around the site, it looks like this is a possibility and would greatly facilitate changing individual pages. So, unless a new obstacle comes up, this appears the way to go.

I thought creating the layout would be the most difficult part of this photobook. I never expected that just outputting into a usable format would be such a hassle. Thank you again.
Christian
Profile Picture

Re: Photos show white grids

Posted:12 Nov 2007 (22:40 UTC)
Hi Judith,

In Photos show white grids (12 Nov 2007 (19:06 UTC))Judithwrote:

I took a peak at your PDF and something is taking upon itself to break the images into several pieces. This is a bad idea because this can cause inconistencies in the conversion of the PDF to a printer ready file. I am guessing this is some kind of option in the PDF export settings. Can you poke around and see if you see a setting in there that would be responsible for this?

In Photos show white grids (12 Nov 2007 (19:06 UTC))Judithwrote:

Hardcovers are a purchase time checkout - just continue to the product page, and you can select hardcover from the Binding Options popup menu when you add it to your cart.
Judith

Photos show white grids

Posted:12 Nov 2007 (19:06 UTC)
Hello. I'm creating an 8.5" x 8.5" photobook for the first time. I followed all the specs for PDF and uploaded my file. I have two questions:

1. The photos in the low-res preview show white grids. All the photos are original (and unretouched) from a digital camera. The compression on the PDF was JPEG with maximum quality. The grids do not show if I view the preview in Acrobat 7. Are the white grids really there and will they print? If so how do I get rid of them?

2. I do not see any options to select a hardcover. Is this the default for this size?

Any help would be appreciated. It is a fairly large (112 pages) book so I do I want to get it right the first time. Thank you.
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page