Binding Issue

Sarah Bashaw

Binding Issue

Posted:04 Jan 2008 (21:54 UTC)
I just created my second book through PrestoPhoto and the printing is beautiful. The book I just created is quite large (about 350 pages) and it will be used as a coffee table book for my parents and therefore will not be handled frequently. After the book being looked through about 3 times one of the pages started to fall out. It looks like pages will continue to fall out at this point. I read the specs carefully when making this book and the specs say for the softcover 9” x 7” that it can have 20 – 700 pages. On the same page the specs say that if the book will be handled frequently you should keep the book to fewer than 160 pages as books larger than this can put strain on the spine/binding. That made sense to me and since my book won’t be handled frequently I figured it would be ok. Unfortunately I didn’t consider looking through the book 3 times to be frequently.

I thought that maybe I had a defect, but when I e-mailed customer service they said that my book would probably do the same thing if they reprinted it and wanted to know if I could split the book into two or more books. I would have designed the book differently if I would have known this.

I just wanted to warn anyone else who might be in the same situation as me and to save them some aggravation. Even though the specs say they can print up to 700 pages for some of the soft cover books, if you will be looking through the book more than once keep it under 160. The other book I created was well under 160 and has held up just fine.
  Page 1 of 1  
Go to page